About Sing Omaha Choirs
Sing Omaha is proud to serve as Nebraska’s Premier Choral and Vocal Music Education and Performance Organization!
Sing Omaha’s Mission
Sing Omaha is a nonprofit organization committed to growing people through premier music education and performance. We accomplish this mission through private voice lessons (singing lessons), private piano lessons, masterclasses, workshops, and summer camps via Sing Omaha Studios, and through ensemble singing instruction and performance in one of ten curriculum-driven, age-specific Sing Omaha Choirs.
In January, 2007, after consulting with a number of choral experts in Nebraska, and around the country, Sing Omaha founder, Matt Hill created an organization that he hoped would positively impact the arts community in the Omaha area by providing high-quality education and artistry to singers of all ages and backgrounds.
In its first two artistic seasons, Sing Omaha fielded four ensembles, ranging in age from Kindergarten through adulthood. The high school mixed choir was folded after the first season, and Sing Omaha entered the 2008-09 season with three choirs: a K–7th grade children’s choir, an 8–12th grade girls choir, and an adult concert choir, and the organization presented its first-annual production of “A Christmas Fanfare”, which has become an Omaha tradition not to be missed.
The 2009–10 season saw Sing Omaha more than doubling in size from three choirs to seven. The four new ensembles enhanced Sing Omaha’s ability to provide the highest-quality choral/vocal experiences to singers by offering, for the first time, uniquely-suited choirs for students K–2nd and 3rd–6th in both the Papillion and Millard areas.
In 2012, Sing Omaha added an adult women’s choir to the ensemble roster, enabling more singers to participate, without the balance concerns of a mixed men’s/women’s ensemble.
Sing Omaha Studios – East (84th & Park Dr.)
In February, 2015, Matt Hill approached Sing Omaha’s Board of Directors about expanding the mission of Sing Omaha Inc. to meet the need of singers looking for one-on-one instruction through private voice lessons and piano lessons. Sing Omaha Studios launched in the summer of 2015 with three Show Choir Camps for 3-5th graders and 6-10th graders in advance of the August “Grand Opening” of the new studio facility at 8438 Park Dr. in Omaha. 2018 saw a 2000+ square foot expansion of the 84th St. Studio to include a second (larger) rehearsal space on-site, as well as a kitchenette, and three additional restrooms.
Sing Omaha Studios – West (190th & Q St.)
In February, 2016, Matt again expanded Sing Omaha’s reach with the creation of two new choirs (K-2, and 3-6th) in Elkhorn, NE (northwest), which launched in September, 2016 to coincide with Sing Omaha’s 10th-Anniversary season.
In addition to these two new elementary choir offerings, Matt led the Sing Omaha Studios through negotiations to open a second studio location in southwest Omaha. This new location provides Sing Omaha an opportunity to meet the educational needs of an underserved area of our community.
Sing Omaha Elkhorn Children’s and Youth Choirs
Sing Omaha’s K-6 division expanded from four to six choirs in the fall of 2016, with the addition of Children’s and Youth choirs in the Elkhorn area. Enrollment in the Elkhorn/Bennington area surpassed our expectations, which necessitated a last-minute venue change for our annual Christmas Fanfare performance!
Sing Omaha Boys’ Choir
Sing Omaha expanded again in the fall of 2017 with the addition of our 10th choir. The Sing Omaha Boys’ Choir serves changed and unchanged male voices in grades 6-12.
Musical Theatre Programming
Another exciting development in 2017 was the creation of a Musical Theatre program as an outshoot of Sing Omaha Studios. With an expert faculty member hired to oversee the program, we developed a curriculum and offered our firs
Tradition of Excellence
We are grateful to have been afforded opportunities to expose our singers and audiences to partner ensembles from the Omaha area and around the world. Since our founding in 2007, Sing Omaha youth and adult choirs have performed for major events in the Omaha area, and have collaborated with such ensembles and artists as:
- Omaha Symphony “Mahler 3” – (Girls’ Choir, Boys’ Choir, Women’s Choir, Master Chorale) | May, 2020
- Commission/World Premier – “Gloria” by Michael Trotta (Master Chorale) | December, 2018
- Omaha Symphony “Beethoven 9th”, Bernstein’s “Chichester Psalms” | (Women’s Choir, Master Chorale) | May, 2018
- Nebraska Choral Directors Association Conference Performance (Master Chorale) | July, 2017
- Z. Randall Stroope (guest artist, composer) | April, 2017
- Omaha Beef Football (K-6 Choirs, National Anthem) | May, 2016
- Nebraska Choral Directors Association Conference Performance (Women’s Choir) | July, 2015
- Omaha Storm Chasers (K-6 Choirs, National Anthem) | May, 2015
- Ola Gjeilo (guest artist, composer) | April, 2015
- University of Nebraska at Lincoln (large work collaboration) | April, 2014
- R. Douglas Helvering (large work commission) | December, 2013
- Nebraska Choral Directors Association Conference Performance (Master Chorale) | July, 2013
- Palladium Brass – Omaha, NE | 2009-2013
- Video Games Live – Nebraska tour stop | July, 2013
- Deborah Community Choir Festival – Decorah, IA | September, 2012
- Orchestra Omaha – Omaha, NE | September 2011, May 2014
- Ames Children’s Choir – Ames, IA | October, 2011
- College World Series (National Anthem Choir) – Omaha, NE | June, 2011
- The African Children’s Choir | October, 2010
- Z. Randall Stroope (guest artist, composer) | April, 2010
- The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra – London, England – “Star Wars Live”, Omaha, NE | December, 2009
- Grace University Concert Choir – Omaha, NE | October, 2008